Monday, March 15, 2010

Twitter Discussion Experience




I did this homework at the due date. I was confused on using Twitter at first. But now I understood why we needed the hashtag. It's to sort and narrow down tweets which were related to a particular topic or reference. I realized I was not follow the instructions of typing the class section tag every time i reply to tweets. All I did was just reply to the tweets.

My discussion experience was limited because there were limited number of people who reply back to the discussion and not everybody is online at the same time. They are only able to see your tweets about the discussion when they log in. However, the Class Tag hashtag really helps to sort out the regular tweets from the discussion tweets.

Compared to the Blackboard Discussion Board, Twitter is much easier to use because you can see the specific tweets of a person, and sort them out. The only downside of Twitter is the limit of characters to only 140. The Blackboard Discussion Board is confusing to use. You can create different forums from it but you will need to open each post to reply to it and read the replies posted by other students. They work like inboxes wherein you can see how many unread posts you have and how many read ones. I am not too familiar with forums and threads so that's probably why I don't really use the Bb Discussion Board.

I still prefer the "traditional" in-class discussion because discussions are more interactive and there are no time constraints. You get to say what you feel and people can actually see your expressions and gestures while having the discussions with you. Twitter makes discussions public so everyone can actually see every tweet you have. I think Twitter will be more beneficial if you want other people's opinions in the discussions from other countries.

No comments:

Post a Comment